When: Winter 2016-2107
Where: Northern/Eastern Iraq
- Provide assistance and medical relief for the complex cases that required a level of expertise not available in the region to this population in Northern Iraq/Kurdistan. The GSMSG surgeons also tended to patients who were critically injured in fighting with ISIS.
- GSMSG physicians would treat non-surgical patients in the major hospital emergency departments.
- GSMSG MD's would also provide advanced trauma life support training to medical personnel.
- GSMSG veteran medic teams taught combat casualtiy care in several locations including Erbil, Sulimaniyeh, Duhok, Kirkuk, and Zakho.
- GSMSG leadership interfaced with KRG ministries including the Kurdish Foreign Minister, Prime Ministers office, Interior Ministry, Governor of Duhok, and Peshmerga leadership.
- GSMSG Orthopedic Surgeons
- GSMSG Trauma Surgeons
- GSMSG Emergency Medicine Physicians
- GSMSG Interventional Radiologists
- GSMSG Military Veteran Medics from the US and Norway
What Was Accomplished:
- Patients treated by GSMSG teams included Iraqis, Syrians, Kurds, Yaizidis, as well as coalition forces
- Over 50 complex surgeries were completed
- Over 350 patients were tended to in the emergency departments
- Over 450 local medics were trained in basic combat casualty care
- Over 100 local medical professionals were taught in advanced surgical techniques and advanced trauma life support
- GSMSG formalized agreements between the organization and various ministries within the Kurdish government